This is a request from Goimom. It is a great idea. I hope it is helpful.
These are some sentences you can use with your child at the hospital:
- We are going to the hospital today.
- We need to go see the doctor. You have been sick for many days.
- I think we should go to the hospital. You don’t look healthy.
- The nurse wants to check how much you weigh. Please step on the scale.
- The nurse wants to check your height. Please put your back against the wall here.
- The nurse wants to measure your waist/arms/legs/head. Please stand still so she can use the measuring tape.
- We need to wait for a little while before we can see the doctor.
- Did you like the nurse? I thought she was very friendly.
- The doctor is a nice man, too. Do you remember him from last time?
- When we go in to see the doctor I need you to be brave, okay? I know it can be scary to see the doctor but he is a very nice man, so there is nothing to worry about.
- Please say “hello” to the doctor. I will tell him what’s wrong.
- Can you show the doctor your chest/stomach/arm/leg/tongue/ear/eye?
- The doctor won’t hurt you. He will be gentle.
- The doctor says you must take some medicine to help you feel better.
- Now we have to see the nurse to get a vaccination.
- Do you remember what a vaccination is?
- No one likes vaccinations but they are important. They will prevent you from getting sick. If you don’t get a vaccination you could get very sick.
- The nurse is going to use a needle to inject you. This will hurt a little bit but only for a moment.
- Mommy will be right here with you the whole time. I will hold your hand. After your vaccination we will go and get some ice cream, okay?
- It’s okay. I know it hurts. It will be over soon. Then we will get some ice cream.
- Please sit still. The nurse needs to inject you. I am right here.
- You were very brave. I know injections hurt. We don’t have to do it again for a long time.
- We need to go here to pay. Why don’t you sit here with Mommy and rest for a moment.
- Now we can go to the counter and pay.
- We’re finished. Let’s go get some ice cream!
Going to the hospital can be a very scary experience for a child. I recommend you use these sentences at home first. Maybe during playtime you can pretend to go to the hospital. You do NOT want to use them for the first time at the hospital. Your child will already be scared and if you are saying things he/she doesn't understand it will be even worse. It's okay to use Thai for a bit to make things very clear to your child. That way they know you are there with them and are not leaving them with the nurses and the needles. You can switch back to English later.
© 2023 Created by ผู้ใหญ่บิ๊ก. Powered by