These are some sentences you can use with your children to talk about strangers and personal safety.
IMPORTANT: I am not comfortable writing this. I don’t want to be responsible for your child’s safety. I am writing these sentences because a parent asked me to and maybe it will be helpful for her.
Some parents worry more than others about safety. I don’t want parents to think I am an expert. I am only listing all the sentences I can think of. I may not use all of them myself. I grew up in America where things are different. I don’t know much about how you raise your children in Thailand when it comes to safety.
It is very important that you discuss strangers and personal safety with your children in Thai, before you do so in English. This is not a topic your children should learn English from. They can learn English from many other activities. Safety is not a time to teach English. It is too important a subject to risk your child not understanding.
I recommend only using these sentences if your child already has a very advanced understanding of English, or if you have explained safety to them in Thai many, many times and want to do so in English as well.
Immediately = right away
If it is too hard, you can take out “immediately” and replace it with “you must”
- Never talk to strangers.
- Never take anything from a stranger.
- Never accept anything from a stranger.
- If someone you don’t know is trying to talk to you, immediately move away.
- If someone you don’t know is trying to grab you, immediately scream for help.
- If someone you don’t know is trying to touch you, immediately scream for help.
- If someone offers you candy (sweets) or toys to go with them, you must never go. You must scream for help right away.
- If someone you don’t know says they are my friend and you must come with them to see me, you must immediately scream for help.
- If someone you don’t know is following you or chasing you, immediately scream for help.
- If something happens to you, you must let Mommy or Daddy know.
- If someone says they will hurt you if you say anything to Mommy and Daddy, you must tell me. I will not let them hurt you.
- If someone says they will hurt Mommy and Daddy if you say anything to us, you must tell me. Don’t worry, Mommy and Daddy know how to take care of these things.
- If someone tries to stand close to you, you must move away.
- If someone tries to stand close to you in the toilet, you must scream for help.
- If someone you don’t know is trying to play with you on the playground, you must move away.
- If they follow you after you move away, you must scream for help.
- If someone grabs you, you must scream for help and then bite them as hard as you can.
If you don’t like “scream for help” you can say “run away”. You can also say “run away and find someone you know’.